Have you heard...
...WHICH RECORDS THERE HAVE BEEN FOR THE wORLD cUP UP TO NOW?
The World Cup is still in full play - it's high time to look back to spectacular facts:
|The youngest participant (who became world champion)||Pelé (Brazil) at the age of 17 years and 249 days at the World Cup in 1958|
|The oldest participant (who became world champion)||Dino Zoff (Italy) at the age of 40 years and 133 days at the World Cup in 1982|
|The most red cards||
- Rigobert Song (Cameroon) and Zinédine Zidane (France) – each twice for 3 World Cup participations altogether.
- World Cup 2006 – A new World Cup record was set with 18 second yellow cards.
|The most curious cards||In 1990 and 2002, Srecko Katanec respectively Claudio Caniggia got the red card while sitting on the substitutes' bench.|
|The spot kick the quickest given in a World Cup match||In the first minute of the final Germany vs. The Netherlands at the World Cup in 1974|
|The first Golden Goal||Laurent Blanc against Paraguay to the 1:0 for France at the last sixteen at the World Cup in 1998.|
|The most World Cup minutes of play||Paolo Maldini with 2217 minutes|
|The most World Cup appearances||Lothar Matthäus with 25|
|The most World Cup minutes of play without goal against||Walter Zenga with 517 minutes of play|
|The most matches||Germany(101)|
|The most wins||Brazil (69)|
|Matches with most goals||
- 12 goals: Austria vs. Switzerland 7:5 at the World Cup in 1954 („The heat battle of Lausanne“)
- 11 goals: Hungary vs. El Salvador 10:1 (1982), Hungary vs. Germany 8:3 (1954), Brazil vs. Poland 6:5 after extra time (1938)
- 10 goals: France vs. Paraguay 7:3 (1958)
|The most penalty shootouts||Germany, Argentina, France, and Italy (4 each)|
|The highest defeats||
- Spain vs. The Netherlands 1:5 - Group stage 2014
- Germany vs. France 3:6 - Match for third place 1958
- Brazil vs. France 0:3 - Final 1998
|The most participations in finals||
7: Brazil, Germany
3: The Netherlands
2: France, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Uruguay
1: England, Sweden, Spain
Diego Maradona is the only player, who got one yellow card each in two finals (1986 and 1990).
Cafu is the first player, who participated in three World Cup finals (1994, 1998, and 2002).
Germany needed the most goals per match to become world champion in 1954 (3.83 goals per match), the least were shot by Spain in 2010 (1.14 per match).
|The highest wins||
Hungary vs. South Korea 9:0 (1954)
Jugoslavia vs. Zaire 9:0 (1974)
Hungary vs. El Salvador 10:1 (1982)
Sweden vs. Cuba 8:0 (1938)
Uruguay vs. Bolivia 8:0 (1950)
Germany vs. Saudi-Arabia 8:0 (2002)
Turkey vs. South Korea 7:0 (1954)
Uruguay vs. Scotland 7:0 (1954)
Poland vs. Haiti 7:0 (1974)
Portugal vs. North Korea 7:0 (2010)